Lisbon Council 2013 Innovation Summit on Innovation and Digital Economy
|Date:||10 October 2013|
|Location:||Brussels, Belgium, 09:30 - 13:00|
10 October, 2012 - Résidence Palace, International Press Centre, BRUSSELS
In advanced and mature economies, innovation is the fuel that drives economic growth, productivity increases and job creation. In fact, as much as 85% of economic expansion can be explained exclusively through innovation, underlining the urgency with which Europe must raise its game. Digital technologies, which have accounted for over 20% of gross domestic product growth in recent years, deserve particular policy attention in the wider innovation debate.
Using the occasion of The 2013 Innovation Summit, the Lisbon Council and Nesta are teaming up to present a “Plan I for Europe”. This innovation plan will outline existing levers and competencies that Brussels can draw on in driving forward innovation, focusing in particular on the transformative potential of digital technologies and offering suggestions for the overall governance of innovation at the European level. The keynote address will be delivered by Herman Van Rompuy, president of the European Council – a timely intervention, taking place just days before the October European Council, which will be dedicated to innovation and the digital economy.
Welcoming Coffee and Registration
Official Welcome: Presidency Priorities for the October European Council
Dainius Pavalkis, minister for education and science, Lithuania
Presentation of New Research Study
Plan I for Europe: The Case for Innovation-Led, Digitally-Powered Growth
The Lisbon Council and Nesta have teamed up to publish an innovation plan for Europe, taking stock of past and present innovation performance and offering recommendations on how to develop framework conditions with greater impact and reach.
- Ann Mettler, executive director, The Lisbon Council
- Stian Westlake, executive director, policy and research, Nesta
- John Bell, head of cabinet, Commissioner Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, (research and innovation), European Commission
- Dainius Pavalkis, minister for education and science, Lithuania
Innovation and the Digital Economy: Drivers of Growth, Employment and Productivity
Convening just days before the October European Council, this session will analyse how innovation and digital advancement can accelerate the economic recovery and spearhead growth, productivity and entrepreneurship.
- The Honourable Herman Van Rompuy, president, European Council
- Carlo d'Asaro Biondo, vice-president, Southern and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa (SEEMEA), Google
- Nico Perez, co-founder, Mixcloud; young adviser to Neelie Kroes, vice-president and commissioner in charge of the digital agenda, European Commission
- Andrew W. Wyckoff, director for science, technology and industry, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Email for Registration:
email@example.com (please, add the subject - “Innovation Summit”).
Only registered participants will have access to the venue.
Seats will be distributed on a first-come, first served basis.